Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sleepy Girl

Well, I just had to write about Ava's nighttime progress. Last night we went to Springfield for dinner with Trav's family for his brother's birthday so Ava's routine was a little off. She ate in the car and fell asleep for a little bit and then woke up when we got home so I changed her and was getting her ready for bed. Knowing she had a full tummy and that she was tired, I thought I'd stick her in her crib without rocking her to see what would happen. (She's been sleeping in her crib since about 4 weeks but is usually asleep when I put her there...). I have been trying to transition her out of needing to be swaddled also just because I have a horrible vision of her being 2 1/2 and still needing to be swaddled! LOL! Anyway, I swaddled her from the waist down--arms out, and gave her the binky and a blankie and watched her as she rubbed the blanket on her face putting herself to sleep!! The sitter has been also doing the same thing so I knew she COULD go to sleep on her own. It took about 15 minutes last night. Well, tonight it only took about 5 minutes or less and instead of the 1/2 swaddle, I put her in one of those sleep sacks that zip up. I also created a 'sleep positioner' of my own with one of our couch throw pillows (it's long and skinny so fits nicely in her crib) covered with a blanket, and another blanket on the other side so she feels nice and snug and secure. :) I guess she likes it!

I thought it was ironic that in my last post I said we needed to work on this whole going to sleep on her own thing...and now she seems to be a pro!

Now all I have to say is that we need to work on this whole sleeping ALL THE WAY through the night thing.

I'll get back to you in a few days with that progress. haha!

2 comments:

Nathan and Megan said...

Cute! She is making progress. She will get there... She's a thriving, healthy little baby girl that just wants to wake up to make sure she's not missing anything, ha! Miss you, Ava!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!! Way to go Ava. She is on her way to being a big girl. :)
Lori